|Start||September 17, 2018|
|Term (3YR)||17.09.2018 – 05.2021|
|Fees||Our Course Fees|
|Deadline||Round 2 before 30.06.2018|
Our flagship Electronic Music Production & Performance Bachelor Degree (BA HONS) is a profound, focussed and innovative course providing you with the opportunity to establish your roots as a producer, performer and practising electronic artist.
Fully immerse yourself in the subject area whilst developing the ‘hands on’ practical tools, creative techniques, industry knowledge, critical analysis and human attributes required to pursue a rewarding and successful career in electronic music production and performance.
WHY IS THE ELECTRONIC MUSIC PRODUCTION & PERFORMANCE BACHELOR FOR YOU?
This course is an opportunity to spend an inordinate amount of time pursuing your passion whilst forging your future in the music industry. As a starting point you should be excited about several or all of the following things:-
- recording, producing and releasing your own electronic music
- performing your own electronic music
- transforming yourself from a DJ into a DJ/Producer
- augmenting DJ sets with electronic production techniques
- providing creative input to someone else’s track, song, album, composition for film etc
- building a comprehensive knowledge of industry standard tools and techniques.
- developing finely honed listening skills
- building an appreciation of classic electronic music productions from the last 30 years
- developing new and innovative music production methodologies
- establishing your own distinct and creative approach to electronic music production
- programming analogue and digital synths
- working with drum machines and sequencers
- patch designing for synthesisers and FX
- building sample packs
- getting in depth with music technology
- developing a representative and defining body of work, a portfolio, a future calling card.
- making a career in the music industry
- spending 3 years living and working in the most exciting city on the planet for electronic music makers
- collaboration with local music industry entrepreneurs in festivals, conventions and events
- full immersion in Berlin’s music scene
- working in collaboration with an international community of like minded people
- being supported by a team of industry experienced facilitators who know you by name, care about your creative development and truly give a damn
- moving city, country or continent in order to pursue something you love
Progressing successfully into employment in today’s music industry takes hard work, focus, commitment, grit and passion. It also requires a broad set of skills, a well developed ‘creative muscle’ and an entrepreneurial spirit.
You may not have all of those things under your belt just yet but a prerequisite for attending any course at dBs Berlin is that you must be passionate about building and developing those skills.
OUR BACHELOR DEGREE COURSES
Our BA (HONS) degrees are internationally recognised undergraduate bachelor of arts honours programmes, validated and administered by our partner the University of St Mark & St John.
SKILLS FOR SUCCESS
We will enable you to imagine, develop and build the best version of yourself you can be. This is your chance to THINK BIG! But if you’re planning to think big you’ll need to develop a whole range of skills to help you reach your goal.
Whilst you hone your core music production expertise we will guide you in developing another set of skills and attributes. A set of skills which we all need to develop if we want to achieve our goals in life whether that be success in the music industry or anything else you might have planned.
This part of our unique educational approach starts with this question –
“What are the essential attributes or skills that make a person successful in life and how can they best be learnt?”
We use the word ‘success’ in the broadest terms. Whatever your own definition of success, there are a range of tools, skills, attributes and habits you can develop which will significantly increase your chances of achieving that success.
It is now widely recognised that these skills and attributes are the essential building blocks that will help turn a talented, hardworking human being into a genuinely successful one.
At dBs Berlin we also believe that personal well being and happiness are essential to living a truly successful life and we encourage our students to incorporate this into their own development.
Most of this learning will be delivered within other modules and our intention is that most of the time you may not even be aware that you’re in the process of developing these skills.
NEW COURSE REDESIGN
We are very happy to have been given the opportunity this year to completely reimagine and design all of our courses. This allows us to build on our extensive experience, take into account new developments and incorporate new thinking into all of our course design. It also means that the precise detail may go through some change during the validation process with our partner university consequently all courses are subject to validation. We’ve been validating courses for 15 years with university partners and our courses have always been successfully validated. We will be adding new information as and when it occurs during this exciting process.
Listen to Tracks Produced by Our Students
In the end it doesn’t matter what we say or do. What matters is what our students are doing during their time with us. Have a listen, leave some comments, decide for yourselves.
Eliad is a composer, performer, sound artist, lecturer and the programme lead for our Electronic Music Production & Performance Bachelor. A classically trained musician, holding a Bachelor degree in physics and a ...
Hilary’s experience in the professional arts world started young. As a kid she danced at Lincoln Center in New York City and later attended a public arts high school in Los Angeles, where she specialized in jazz saxophone. Hilary received her ...
Robin Koek (Netherlands, 1987) is active as a composer, musician and designer of artistic systems. His works explore states wherein acoustic, digital and analog signals intertwine and merge into one body of sound. The origins of his compositions ...
A fanatic of audio production in all music styles, Jeff brings 20 years of industry experience to dBs Music Berlin. Living in Berlin since 2006, he is known most for his underground techno/house releases and DJ sets as ...
Appleblim, aka Laurie, was a regular performer at the club FWD>> from late 2002. The acts he saw there inspired him to set up the label Skull Disco along with Shackleton. On this, Appleblim released his own material and achieved success with ...
Kerim Karaoglu is a composer and sound-designer working in the field of electroacoustic music, live-electronics, audio/visual installations and contemporary dance/theatre. He graduated with a degree in electronic ...
Since earning his degree in composition and music technology, Brian has worked professionally in music creation and production for media outlets like BBC and SKY television via his collaborations with ULTRAPHONIC. From ...
Sound artist and producer Brendan Dougherty moved from Philadelphia to Berlin in 2002 and quickly became involved in its music and performance art scenes. An avid collaborator, he has worked with a wide range ...
Susan Langan is a practiced DJ, singer, and music producer ...
When it comes to house and deep house music in New Zealand, Philippa has always been at the forefront of the genre. Beginning DJing in the late 90s, she has headlined and played all over New Zealand in places ranging ...
Charlie Baldwin is also known as the artist Kasket and specialises in raw recordings, live atmosphere, glitched up vocals and catchy melodies. His first release entitled Torn ...
Ugandan born Jenifa Mayanja has been deeply entrenched in the underground deep house music scene for more than 25 years since the early ...
Stefan Knauthe is a music producer, composer and synthesist with a lifelong passion for sound and electronic music. Having been Berlin based since 1988, he has witnessed and ...
Andrea Parkins is a sound artist, composer, and electroacoustic instrumentalist who engages with interactive electronics as compositional/performative process. She is especially known for her pioneering approach on her ...
Bridget Ferrill is a musician, producer, and engineer from the US. She has worked as a live sound engineer all over the world, and in the studio at Machines with Magnets in Rhode Island and Greenhouse Studios in Iceland. ...
We’re excited. Very excited. dBs Berlin have relocated to a brand new purpose built facility at the Funkhaus to house our rapidly expanding institute of creative production.
The Funkhaus is an internationally unique, extraordinary and atmospheric location and it’s hard to imagine a better location for creative endeavour and learning.
All courses are now delievered at our Funkhaus campus.
Want to look around? We welcome you to sign up for an Open Day. These are a great opportunity to speak to our staff, students and see our facilities.More About Our Spaces
Your success depends entirely on you – what you bring to the course, your approach to learning and the grit, passion and sheer determination with which you build your future.
The employment model in the music industry has been transformed over the last 20 years. There are still roles with permanent contracts but it is much more likely that you will work either as a freelancer or as part of a small startup which you will have set up with friends or colleagues.
As the cohorts of our students graduate, they quickly progress into exciting real world projects and careers. Here’s a selection to whet your appetite:
- organising large electronic music festival in Belgium
- sampling artist with growing list of commissions from international festivals including Dimensions and Roskilde
- designing proposals for improving background noise in cities
- field recording with Chris Watson
- stage manager for Dubfire
- creating music for an ad campaign for C&A
- music for an Italian fashion brand
- audio logo for Galeries Lafayette
- audio logo for an Italian telecommunications company
- sound installations at four art events in Berlin
- multiple releases on a range of techno labels
- sample packs for Loopmasters
- house engineer for a club in Berlin
- songs signed to BMG
- music and audio for a game featured on Indiedb
- created software for teaching synthesis
Our UK centres have been running successfully for many years and have had graduates working across the music industry from Abbey Road Recording Studios to the Glastonbury Festival and everything inbetween.
Many students also decide to opt for further specialised study at Masters level.Apply Now