Course Information

What is your Higher Education Certificate qualification?

Our Certificates aim to engage students with limited experience in the fields of creative music production and sound engineering or electronic music production and performance. Whilst this may sound like an introductory course it’s actually far from it! The courses will deliver a broad depth of information and aim to get students working independently on major projects. Successful completion of an Higher Education Certificate course qualifies you for 60 ECTS: equivalent to 1 year of a degree course.

What is your Higher Education Diploma qualification?

Our Diplomas are practice based and will have you assembling an impressive portfolio of work and taking the time to specialise in your interest. There is nothing more valuable than experience and our learning by doing approach is sure to expose you to a variety of technical, creative, organisational and pragmatic skills. Successful completion of an Higher Education Diploma qualifies you for 120 ECTS: equivalent to 2 years of a degree course.

How does progression work between your courses?

Say you complete the 1-year course and you’d like to spend more time practicing your craft… we make it easy for you to continue onto the second year. Our seamless progression model allows you to decide how high you’d like to climb in your subject, at your own pace.

What is your Bachelor Degree qualification?

Our Bachelor (HONS) Degrees are internationally recognised undergraduate bachelor of arts programmes, administered through the University of St Mark & St John in the UK. They are suitable for students that have some prior experience in recording and/or production and aims to push students both creatively and technically and will provide the necessary skills to enter employment, further study or to produce their own work. Successful completion of a Bachelor qualifies you for 180 ECTS: equivalent to 3 years of a degree course.


Our degrees are Bachelor of Arts awards.

Who accredits your qualifications?

dBs Berlin courses are accredited by the University of St Mark & St John (MARJON), a small, specialised university based in Plymouth in the South West of England, with around 3500 students. In 2012 they achieved 87% in their student satisfaction survey and 79.9% for teaching excellence in the Sunday Times university guide. We work closely with this university to deliver our music degrees in both the UK and Berlin and have had a very successful relationship with them for a number of years.

With over 175 Years of heritage, tradition and experience, MARJON has travelled a long road in becoming first a university college and now a full university. The university’s degree courses comply fully with the European Diploma Supplement Transcript and have equivalent ECTS values for all modules in keeping with the Bologna Declaration at the Convention for the Recognition of Qualifications Concerning Higher Education in the European Region.

MARJONs is listed as an accredited degree awarding university on the following UK Government websites:

Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) UK Government recognised bodies

University website:

Do I gain ECTS credits from studying your courses?

Yes, you do!
Our qualifications are awarded:
HE Certificate or 1st year of the HE Diploma/Bachelor = 60 ECTS Credits
HE Diploma or first 2 years of the Bachelor = 120 ECTS Credits
Bachelor = 180 ECTS Credits


What are the teaching days and hours?

Classes will occur Monday – Friday on average about 3 days out of the week. If a class needs to be rescheduled it will be moved to a Saturday. Your particular weekly arrangement depends on which group your are placed into for your course.

As a general rule you will have 12 hours of lessons delivered weekly. This is paired with 12 hours of supported time on campus and 12 hours self directed at home.

This means around a 36 hour commitment a week – so a full time course. Our timetable is subject to change week by week or semester by semester, so we can’t guarantee the possibility of regular shifts.

What are the 2020/21 term dates for the HE Certificate courses?

Sept 14, 2020 – May 21, 2021

What are the 2020/2022 term dates for the HE Diploma courses?

Sept 14, 2020 – May 2022

What are the 2020/2023 term dates for the Bachelor courses?

Sept 14, 2020 – May 2023

What are the 2020/2021 term dates for the Masters course?

Full-time: Sept 14, 2020 – August 6, 2021
Part-time: Sept 14, 2020 – August 2022

How to Apply

When can I apply? What is the application process?

1. When to apply

Please submit your application at least 14 days before the course start date.


You are welcome to apply anytime between October and August 15, 2020. However, in the summer things get very busy and the courses fill up quickly. The earlier you apply, the faster our admissions team can get you a decision.

The best time of year to submit your application will also depend on you and what you need. If you require a student visa or for funding, we suggest the following deadlines:


Apply by February 29, 2020

There are some bureaucratic hurdles you’ll need to conquer but don’t worry, you are not alone. Our admissions team is happy to provide you with the documents you will need to successfully acquire your student visa or funding. But, in order to do so, we kindly request that you submit your application before the end of February.


Apply by June 30, 2020

The following organisations have provided funding for BA or MA study with us:

Sweden – CSN

Iceland – Lín

Norway – Lånekassen

2. How to apply
All our applications can be completed via the online forms at (including film and acting courses). Each course has slightly different requirements – but we will always need your personal and contact information. Read about our Privacy Policy here.

On the first page of every application form are detailed instructions on what materials are required.

Is there an interview?

As a part of the application process we ask you to “introduce yourself” and you have four ways of doing this. Two of those options include an interview, which you can either make over the phone or during one of our Open Days.

How many students do you currently have studying at dBs Berlin?

We began this academic year (September 2019), with around 80 film/VFX students,  and 250 music students!

However, classes have no more than 20 students.

Will I require a visa to study in Germany before I apply?

Please be aware we are not able to offer student visas in Germany for students outside of the EU because our courses, although delivered in Berlin, result in a UK based qualification and therefore the German visa authorities will not issue a German student visa for our college.

Citizens of EU countries or those with an EU passport, do not require a visa to study in Germany.

For non-EU citizens:

Before you make your application, we do ask that you investigate the options for obtaining a visa for your country of origin. If you are made an offer to study with us, you will be required to show evidence of your visa before we can officially accept you on to the course.

For more extensive information click here for our main visa website page.

Fees & Finance

What will the tuition fees be and how can I pay?

Each year for all courses you will be required to pay a €750 enrolment fee to secure your place on the course. You will then be required to pay the annual balance. You have two ways to pay the balance – either as a single payment or a series of monthly payments.

The single payment does save you €1,000 however we offer the monthly payments as this is often very helpful for managing your budget. Note that if you choose the monthly payment option you will need to sign an agreement. Please see our terms and conditions for details of this agreement.

Visit our course fees page to see exactly what you pay and what you get.

How much of a budget will I need?

Have a look at our blog item on this subject called Berlin a Budget Paradise for Students.

Studying at dBs Music

Will I be required to complete assignments and/or exams during my course?

All our courses have large elements of project work and practical assignments, which must be achieved to schedule and within the time spent studying the course. There won’t be any traditional exams, but the Bachelor (3rd year) and Masters courses require a written thesis.

What language are your courses taught in?

All classes are taught in English and any coursework is also submitted in English.

What level of English do I need?

Being able to communicate with your tutors and classmates is very important to keep up with your work and to enjoy your time at dBs Berlin. We have suggested English levels below and will take steps to assist you, but please do take the time to consider your levels with both written and spoken English.

We suggest a minimum of IELTS 6.0.

How much German will I need to get around in Berlin?

As Berlin is an international city you will find that English is widely spoken, which does make it fairly easy to get around. However, learning German will make your time here both much easier and more fulfilling!

Will dBs Berlin help me get a job after I have completed my course?

Our courses are focused on providing a broad range of relevant skills to prepare you for working in the real world, helping you to bridge the gap between studying in a classroom and making a living from your work. This means having tutors who can pass on their own experiences, working on projects that can become your calling card, and picking up skills in areas not normally touched on by other courses.

Can you tell me about the tutors who are employed by dBs Berlin?

As well as recruiting people who are experts in their specific fields so that you gain as much knowledge and advice from their real-world experience as you can, we strive to place tutors who provide students with the care, supportive atmosphere and stimulation required to get the most out of their course of study.

You can check out more detailed info about some of our tutors on our team page!

In addition to our regular tutors’ experience and tutoring ability, we organise regular Guest Sessions from industry professionals for one-off lectures throughout the course. We believe in the value of receiving real industry input on a regular basis to enhance your own personal development.

Buildings & Equipment

Am I able to use the equipment and facilities outside of class time?

You will get some taught time in the studios. You will also get bookable time to complete your assignments or other projects. At the moment the allocation runs: 3 hours per week for those in the 1st year of their course, 4 hours per week for those in the 2nd year, and 6 hours per week for those in the 3rd year.

Our Fabriks (computer labs) are also open and available for use after class hours until the Funkhaus centre closes at 22:00.

What equipment do I need to purchase prior to arrival?

You will need an external hard drive with either a USB or Thunderbolt connection. You will also need a pair of high quality studio monitoring headphones. We include a list of suggested headphones in our Student Welcome Pack.

What are your facilities like?

dBs Berlin now exists solely at Funkhaus in our  new purpose built facility. We have the ground and the 1st floor of Building A which gives international learning community some space to grow into. If you’re curious to know more please come pay us a visit!

Our facility at Funkhaus includes 27 studios/live rooms/production suites, an electronic music production lab, 4 IT workshop spaces, 2 ideas labs, a multi purpose lecture space, 2 film production offices, a film studio and flexible access to many of the other spaces at the Funkhaus including the extraordinary and unique orchestra recording halls.

Can you tell me exactly what equipment will be based at the centre?

We think the best way to answer this one is to come and see our centre in Berlin. We could provide a long list of gear here for you to trawl through, but without seeing how we use it within our centre and the spaces we have created, it doesn’t really mean much. If you are not able to visit, drop us an email and we can send you a list to give you an idea!

Can I visit dBs Berlin?

Yes you can!

We are very happy for you to come and see us and check out our music production training facilities and studios, so you can get a feel for our atmosphere and the fantastic environment you will be working in.

To take a full tour of our facilities, book one of our upcoming Open Days. The first hour of the Open Day is a tour and questions with the admissions team, and then we drop you off in a classroom for a little taste…

Or to make a time to have a quick chat with one of our team, just get in touch!

Living in Berlin

Does dBs Berlin find students accommodation?

At the moment we do not provide student accommodation on our Funkhaus campus. We do however, have contact in the city with organisations specialising in student housing. Take a read on our Living in Berlin page for more information.

In addition to these online links, we always try to help our students with advice and support in real life. Our students receive a series of informational PDFs called the Welcome Pack volumes which are full of everything you need to know when moving to Berlin.

Why can’t I get German state funded student accommodation through StudentenWerk?

Unfortunately this is not yet possible because dBs Berlin is not part of the German state funded education system and therefore do not qualify for subsidy. StudentenWerk seldom have enough places for the demand in Berlin in any case, so many students go to private accommodation providers, some of which are shown as links on our main accommodation web page.

Do you have student services?

Yes, we have dedicated student services team to help you get the most out of your time studying and living in Berlin! We also have our own online radio station run and promoted by dBs Berlin students.

We keep an up to date database on events and services in Berlin and will help where we can with understanding German authorities or official processes, such as registering yourself as a resident.