Course Information

What is your diploma qualification?

Our diplomas aim to engage students with limited or no experience in the fields of music production and sound engineering or electronic music production. Whilst this may sound like an introductory course it’s actually far from it! The courses will deliver a broad depth of information and aim to get students working independently on major projects.

Who accredits your diploma qualification?

Our diplomas are practice based and will have you assembling an impressive and broad portfolio of work. There is nothing more valuable than experience and our learning by doing approach is sure to expose you to a variety of technical, creative, organisational and pragmatic skills. When you combine our mentorship and resources with your ambition, the possibilities are limitless.

Will my diploma allow progression onto the degree?

Yes, many of our students choose to further their studies by continuing onto a degree after completing the diploma. Both diplomas are suitable for progression onto either of the degrees (i.e. you could switch the between sound engineering or electronic music production).

What is your degree qualification?

Our Bachelor (Hons) degrees are internationally recognised undergraduate bachelor of arts programmes, administered through the University of St Mark & St John in the UK. They are suitable for students that have some prior experience in recording and/or production and aims to push students both creatively and technically and will provide the necessary skills to enter employment, further study or to produce their own work.

Who accredits your degree qualification?

dBs Music Degrees are accredited by the University of St Mark & St John (MARJON), a small, specialised university based in Plymouth in the South West of England, with around 3500 students. In 2012 they achieved 87% in their student satisfaction survey and 79.9% for teaching excellence in the Sunday Times university guide. We work closely with this university to deliver our music degrees in both the UK and Berlin and have had a very successful relationship with them for a number of years.

With over 175 Years of heritage, tradition and experience, MARJON has travelled a long road in becoming first a university college and now a full university. The university’s degree courses comply fully with the European Diploma Supplement Transcript and have equivalent ECTS values for all modules in keeping with the Bologna Declaration at the Convention for the Recognition of Qualifications Concerning Higher Education in the European Region.

MARJONs is listed as an accredited degree awarding university on the following UK Government websites:

Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) UK Government recognised bodies

University website:

Do I gain ECTS credits from studying the degree course?

Yes, you do!
Our degrees are awarded:
Semesters 1 & 2 (Stage 1) = 60 ECTS Credits
Semesters 3 & 4 (Stage 2) = 60 ECTS Credits
Semesters 5 & 6 (Stage 3) = 60 ECTS Credits
Total Degree = 180 ECTS Credits

Our degrees are Bachelor of Arts awards.

What are the teaching hours and days?

Classes take place Monday to Saturday between 10:00 & 17:00, with taught study hours usually taking place over two or three days (maximum of 4 class hours) every week, with breaks for lunch.

We make every effort to fit actual taught class time into 2-3 days a week to allow students time outside of this period to work on their portfolio, carry out part time work etc.

What are the 2017/18 term dates for the diploma courses?

Sept 18, 2017 – June 2018

What are the 2017 term dates for the degree courses?

2-year Sept 18, 2017 – Aug 2019
3-year Sept 18, 2017 – May 2020

What is the difference between the 2 and 3 year degree?

The 2 year (fast-track) and 3 year degrees contain exactly the same content, but the 2 year course has an extra semester in summer.

How to Apply

When can I apply? And what is the application process?

Application for 2018 will open at the end of October 2017.

Once we have received and processed your application, we will contact you about next steps. Our admissions team (Sylvia and Alex) will get in touch to make sure you’ve applied for the right course according to your skill level, and that you have all your paperwork done. Then you will have the chance to chat with a tutor and ask them any questions you have about the course. If all goes well, you will be sent an ‘offer letter’. In order to confirm your acceptance of the offer and your place on the course, we ask that you pay a €750 enrolment fee. When we’ve received the enrolment fee we will send you your acceptance letter and you’re officially one of us!

Is there an interview?

Every application we receive has a chat with one of our senior members of teaching staff, usually conducted over Skype or the phone. This is more of a casual conversation than formal interview. During the chat we will go over your application, experience and motivations for joining the school and also answer any questions you/we might have. As all our classes are in English, this is also a chance for both us and you to be sure you will be comfortable in your lessons.

How many students do you currently have studying at dBs Berlin?

We began this academic year (September 2017), with 50 film students and 300 music students!

However, classes have no more than 20 students.

Will I require a visa to study in Germany before I apply?

Please be aware we are not able to offer student visas in Germany for students outside of the EU because our courses, although delivered in Berlin, result in a UK based qualification and therefore the German visa authorities will not issue a German student visa for our college.

Citizens of EU countries or those with an EU passport, do not require a visa to study in Germany.

For non-EU citizens:

Before you make your application, we do ask that you investigate the options for obtaining a visa for your country of origin. If you are made an offer to study with us, you will be required to show evidence of your visa before we can officially accept you on to the course.

For more extensive information click here for our main visa website page.

Fees & Finance

What will the tuition fees be and how can I pay?

Each year for all courses you will be required to pay a €750 enrolment fee to secure your place in the course. You will then be required to pay the annual balance. You have two ways to pay the balance – either as a one-off payment or a monthly financing payment.

The one-off payment does work out slightly less however we offer the financing option as this is often very helpful for managing your budget. Note that if you choose the financing payment you will need to sign an agreement. Please see our terms and conditions for details of this agreement.

Visit our course fees page to see exactly what you pay and what you get.

How much of a budget will I need?

Have a look at our blog item on this subject called Berlin a Budget Paradise for Students.

Studying at dBs Music

Will I be required to complete assignments and/or exams during my course?

Both the diploma and degree courses have large elements of project work and practical assignments, which must be achieved to schedule and within the time spent studying the course. However, there are no exams.

What language are your courses taught in?

All classes are taught in English and any coursework is also submitted in English.

What level of English do I need?

Being able to communicate with your tutors and classmates is very important to keep up with your work and to enjoy your time at dBs Berlin. We have suggested English levels below and will take steps to assist you, but please do take the time to consider your levels with both written and spoken English.

For the diploma course most of the submitted work is of a practical, non-written nature however to fully make the most of your course we do suggest a minimum of IELTS 6.0.

How much German will I need to get around in Berlin?

As Berlin is an international city you will find that English is widely spoken, which does make it fairly easy to get around. However, learning German will make your time here both much easier and more fulfilling!

Will dBs Berlin help me get a job after I have completed my course?

Our courses are focused on providing a broad range of relevant skills to prepare you for working in the real world, helping you to bridge the gap between studying in a classroom and making a living from your work. This means having tutors who can pass on their own experiences, working on projects that can become your calling card, and picking up skills in areas not normally touched on by other courses.

Can you tell me about the tutors who are employed by dBs Berlin?

As well as recruiting people who are experts in their specific fields so that you gain as much knowledge and advice from their real-world experience as you can, we strive to place tutors who provide students with the care, supportive atmosphere and stimulation required to get the most out of their course of study.

You can check out more detailed info about some of our tutors on our team page!

In addition to our regular tutors’ experience and tutoring ability, we organise regular Guest Sessions from industry professionals for one-off lectures throughout the course. We believe in the value of receiving real industry input on a regular basis to enhance your own personal development.

Buildings & Equipment

Am I able to use the equipment and facilities outside of class time?

The short answer is yes. Bookable time will be provided and can be reserved for personal and school projects, outside of scheduled class time. We want our equipment to be used!

What equipment do I need to purchase prior to arrival?

You will need an external hard drive with either a USB or Thunderbolt connection. You will also need a pair of high quality studio monitoring headphones. We include a list of suggested headphones in our Student Welcome Pack.

What are your facilities like?

dBs Berlin have relocated to a brand new purpose built facility to house our rapidly expanding institute of creative production.

The first phase of our new facility at Funkhaus includes 27 studios/live rooms/production suites, an electronic music production lab, 4 IT workshop spaces, 2 ideas labs, a multi purpose lecture space, 2 film production offices, a film studio and flexible access to many of the other spaces at the Funkhaus including the extraordinary and unique orchestra recording halls.

All our courses will be taught from these new spaces from September 2017.

Can you tell me exactly what equipment will be based at the centre?

We think the best way to answer this one is to come and see our centre in Berlin. We could provide a long list of gear here for you to trawl through, but without seeing how we use it within our centre and the spaces we have created, it doesn’t really mean much! If you are not able to visit, drop us an email and we can send you a list to give you an idea!

Can I visit dBs Berlin?

Yes you can!

We are very happy for you to come and see us and check out our music production training facilities and studios, so you can get a feel for our atmosphere and the fantastic environment you will be working in.

To take a full tour of our facilities, book one of our upcoming Open Days.

Or to make a time to have a quick chat with one of our team, just get in touch!

Living in Berlin

Does dBs Berlin find students accommodation?

At the moment we do not provide student accommodation on our Funkhaus campus. We do however, have a load of contacts in the city of other organisations specialising in student housing. Take a read on our Living in Berlin page for more information.

In addition to these online links, we always try to help our students with advice and support in real life. Our students receive a series of informational PDFs called the Welcome Pack volumes which are full of everything you need to know when moving to Berlin.

Why can’t I get German state funded student accommodation through StudentenWerk?

Unfortunately this is not yet possible because dBs Berlin is not part of the German state funded education system and therefore do not qualify for subsidy. StudentenWerk seldom have enough places for the demand in Berlin in any case, so many students go to private accommodation providers, some of which are shown as links on our main accommodation web page.

Do you have student services?

Yes, we have dedicated student services team to help you get the most out of your time studying and living in Berlin! We host regular parties in venues around Berlin that work as a platform for our students to perform, experiment and hone their skills, plus we have our own online radio station run and promoted by dBs Berlin students.

We keep an up to date database on events and services in Berlin and will help where we can with understanding German authorities or official processes, such as registering yourself as a resident or how to set up a phone account.