The dBs Method
So, the big question that you as a potential student will and should be asking yourself. Why should I choose dBs Berlin? There are some short answers to this question and some very long answers to this question. They’re all important so it depends on how much time you have. Short answers come first. Long and potentially more interesting answers come after the short answers. For even more information read the whole website. Above all, if you have any questions don’t hesitate to get in touch – we love to chat.
Ah – good old ethos. So important, yet so hard to describe in a way that means anything. We think our ethos is crucial to what makes us different but until you have experienced how that feels in a day to day way, it’s all just words really isn’t it. Nevertheless we’ve put some words here and hope they convey at least a small sense of what we care about.
- the support, the care and the welcome you will receive from all of our team
- our passion for the development of your ideas
- our commitment to teaching all of the skills needed for success
- our belief that ‘doing’ is paramount
- our passion for an education that helps you build dreams and new futures
When we develop our learning we are thinking about two things. Firstly, what does a student need to learn if they want to succeed in today’s music industry. Secondly what will learning look like in 25 years time. Somewhere between the answers to these two questions lies our approach to learning.
- courses are delivered in English – the language of the international music business
- music industry connections in the UK and Germany
- industry experienced tutors
- always training for the ‘real world’
- high level of ‘hands on’ time with the equipment
- monthly guest lectures by music industry professionals
- we teach all of the skills required for success
- ‘virtual learning environment’ available 24/7
- passion for technology married with creativity
- aligned with entrepreneurship
- the importance of play to the learning experience
- always driven by ‘our 25 year question’ (see below)
- supported by UK Trade & Industry
We got lucky with our new space in Berlin. We really couldn’t have asked for anything more appropriate for our style of teaching and learning. It’s creative, it’s got bags of atmosphere, it’s cool and it’s part of a larger professsional music making and production community.
- a fabulous and truly unique studio location at the Berlin Funkhaus
- based in an established community of professional music makers and recording studios
- the latest industry standard equipment chosen with learning in mind
- a space for you to transform your life
- Berlin – the most exciting city in the world to be a student
- Berlin – one of the cheapest cities in the world to be a student
Some of you will care about this and some of you won’t but we’ve provided this information to give you and potentially your parents some reassurance about our experience and our standing in the UK.
- established since 1999 in the UK
- more than 600 students in the UK
- multiple partnerships with public institutions including City College Plymouth, Cornwall College, City of Bristol College, University of Plymouth, University College of St Marks and St Johns
- excellent ratings for the quality of our educational delivery in all public audits
- ex students working in the industry
The 25 Year Question
Amongst all of the ongoing development at dBs Berlin, the one big question we keep asking ourselves is this.
“What will education look like in 25 years time?”
Education and training are undergoing a revolution. Much of this is as a result of the enabling power of the internet.
Our ‘online everywhere’ culture gives us unprecedented access to extraordinary levels of freely available information. Much of education in the last 100 years has been quite simply about learning and remembering information. An outstanding establishment was simply one that knew how to pass on that information in the most effective way.
We think that to be an outstanding educational establishment in the next 100 years, a completely different focus will need to be established. Amongst other things, the focus will be on:-
- the development of the whole person
- building the creative muscle
- learning to succeed
- learning to innovate
- learning to take risk
- learning to listen
- learning to communicate
Passion in Progress
We have a warning sign written in large red letters ready to hang at the door of our new Berlin based centre which simply says “Passion in Progress”. As educators, we believe it is our job to ignite your passion and help you keep it burning. Passion is the fire that will heat your creative juices to boiling point. Passion overcomes fear. The fears that we all face. The fear of failing, the fear of being different, the fear of falling behind our peers, the fear of jumping too far ahead of our peers, the fear of being ridiculed.
Losing that fear is paramount if we are to push our creative boundaries as far as they’ll go and envision futures not yet here.
Doing & Collaboration
Learning through doing and collaboration are key to the dBs Berlin approach. Of course our students also learn the theory which supports their doing. But doing is paramount and we think it is part of our duty to provide them with at least some of the ten thousand hours of practice that Anders Ericsson believes they need to become a real expert.
Collaboration is a part of everyday dBs Berlin life. Collaboration with our fellow students, collaboration with our tutors, collaboration across the wider online community and collaboration with the music industry experts and organisations with whom we are working in partnership.
Play is also a crucial ingredient in our college. In fact at times it can feel like a technological toy room. At dBs Berlin we tend to assume that the wider the smile, the harder the work going on and the deeper the exploration.
Fun though a technological toy room can be, the technology alone is not enough. The most important ingredient is an environment which constantly encourages and develops creativity.
Technology married with creativity is what really makes our hearts sing.
Something to Kick Against
The educational structures or courses that we put around all of this life enhancing activity are merely containers or frameworks. When creative activity becomes too open ended it can rapidly transform into inaction or stasis. Lost in a world of infinite choice.
As creative individuals we need structure, a challenge to work within, a map of a journey, a resistance to help shape our ideas – or often just something to kick against!
When all is said and done and the latest technological toys have been put back in their cupboard for the night and the creative embers are just gently glowing, dBs Berlin is about people. A creative community. Feeling welcome. Feeling part of something. A nurturing hothouse where people grow themselves and help grow others. A space for people to transform their lives.
The British Connection
And finally a few words on the British connection.
The British Music Industry has an international reputation for its music production talents.
Berlin has a fast growing reputation as a creative metropolis for the music and media industries.
At dBs Berlin we will combine the best of British with the best of Berlin to provide an inspirational space for learning and collaboration with a truly international outlook.
We look forward to being a small part of a much larger, very exciting process as Berlin transforms itself into a world class creative media city.